It is vital to have standards since it is utilized as a basis for judgment - what is right or good and what is wrong or bad. The term standard is associated with “rule”, “principal” and “ideal” that all have a more positive connotation. Nonetheless, in the area of dating, when do these standards get in the way of a potential partnership? Do you have unrealistic standards in dating?
Whether we realize it or not, we have certain qualities of the kind of people we want to date and have a partnership with. These are what we call standards. If we tweak the meaning a little bit and make it into a requirement set for the individuals that we wish to meet, it is now what we refer to a dating standard. Please find below a few examples showing these kinds of dating standards:
1. I will only date somebody with a secure career.
2. I will only go out with someone who is unselfish.
3. I will just date somebody who has a compatible personality with mine.
4. Go out with a person who is mature mentally.
We would just talk about these 4 because this checklist can go on and on.
Although the 4 standards mentioned above aren't too high, they can be completely different if you interpret them this way:
1. I would just go out with somebody with a stable job who makes six figures.
2. Just going out somebody if he/she thinks I am the most important individual in the world.
3. Go out with a person if we have compatible personalities based on my checklist.
4. Date an individual who is mature emotionally and absolutely understands me.
If you interpret them this way then you probably have unreasonable dating standards.
What to do
The solution is not to make your dating standards too high. Be honest with yourself if you’ve found your dating standards to be too high or to be unrealistic. If you do that then you won’t have unrealistic dating standards. Your viewpoint of things would improve and your odds of finding a partner who will do the same for you would also increase.
Do not Forget
Please keep in mind that it is essential to have reasonable dating standards, regardless of what they are. It will also help that you do a truthful assessment of yourself and see if those standards were to be measured up to you. It is actually not bad to have standards. Just remember not to make them too much…nor too low for that matter.